Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Monday, February 20, 2006

Polling Is Active In 35th SD Race

Last night I was called by the Tarrance Group for my opinions on the upcoming special election in the 35th Senate District. It lasted about ten minutes by my guess. A number of questions were asked of me. There were negative questions about both GOP candidates, but on balance, I would say that this was more of a hit poll against Diane Harkey. I love how they phrase the questions..."did you know that Diane Harkey had over $100k in tax liens from her past business dealings? Will that make you more or less likely to vote for her?....did you know that Diane Harkey supported higher fees and taxes for homeowners in Dana Point?...do you think someone with one year of political experience should try to move up to the State Senate?...then this question about Tom Harmon..."did you know that Tom Harmon has been in the State Assembly for six years and before that was a Huntington Beach city councilman". A couple of others were..."did you know that Diane Harkey paid for her co sponsership of the California Border Police Initiative"..."Tom Harmon is 100% pro choice" blah blah blah...."Tom Harmon has accepted money from labor unions, but has a great voting record supporting businesses" or something like that. Nice try Duane. It's not going to work.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    See, Allan, you as an insider can figure out the tactic, but I doubt many average voters can tell the difference between a regular poll and a push/negative one.

    Duane is awesome for doing engaging in such a tactic...it's too bad he's working for the wrong candidate, but still is a great consultant.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The last thing I am is an insider. I've never been part of anyone's campaign team. The closest I ever came was being Jim Gilchrist's unofficial blogger, but an insider...nah. I guess it's just easy for me to figure these things out because I follow my local races closely. I'll agree though that negative ads/push polls work great on the uninformed voters. I guess I care too much about who's representing my interests in Sacramento, D.C and Irvine City Hall.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home