Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Monday, August 22, 2005

My Weekend Experience

I'm back from a long weekend. I want to congratulate Mr & Mrs Dan Voss. Dan is a good friend of mine that got married over the weekend up in Santa Barbara. The ceremony & reception was at the beautiful El Encanto Hotel. The view is spectacular from the hotel of the ocean and surrounding area. As I was looking out at the ocean, I could also see the brand spanking new USS Ronald Reagan parked out in the bay. What an awesome sight. It's leaving for the Persian Gulf this morning. They had arrived on Friday for a few days of R&R before the deployment. Look out State St.! Most of the sailors were well behaved I heard. The scuttlebut about the Reagan's visit was that the liberal majority on the Santa Barbara City Council tried to bill the Navy $30k for boat transportation for VIPs and sailors to and from the boat. Luckily, there was a huge backlash and the council relented. From what I heard, Dr Laura was ready to step into the fray and pick up the tab herself, but it turns out that she didn't have to. Typical Santa Barbara politics. It's completely wacko up there.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I attended school up there, during the run up to the Iraq War and after, Santa Barbara Mayor Marty Bloom would dress up as Dick Cheney - rubber mask and all - and throw fake leftist money out of a convertable driving down State Street. What a scene! I should have pursued a complaint against her for littering and public disturbance.

    It is wild up there.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yeah I know all about the politics of that area because my wife grew up in Goleta and her parents still live up there. Whenever we go up there I get a chance to read the Santa Barbara newspapers and catch up on what is going on. It's nice to see that the Republicans won a majority on the SB BOS. I remember reading about what a bitch Gail Marshall was. Props to Santa Barbara.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home