Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Supreme Court Upholds Individual Right To Bear Arms


I can't believe it even had to come down to this. By one vote, 5 to 4, the Second Amendment to the Constitution was upheld. So I am pleased with the Court's decision, but I am alarmed that there are four justices who believe there is no individual right to bear arms. I guess they don't teach Second Amendment Con Law at liberal law schools(I know I know, that's redundant) or they just choose to pretend it doesn't exist. The Bill of Rights is all about individual rights. When I get home this evening, I am going to pour over this decision and have more to say about it, but for now, I am happy that I will still be able to defend myself, my family, and my property with a gun. Here is a link to the Court Opinion. As loud as they're cheering this decision today, I wish my fellow Republicans would be just as loud in defending the rest of the Constitution.

I hate to do it, but I have to praise the nominee of my party, John McCain for his statement on today's ruling
Unlike the elitist view that believes Americans cling to guns out of bitterness, today's ruling recognizes that gun ownership is a fundamental right -- sacred, just as the right to free speech and assembly
He was taking a shot here at Barack Obama's recent statement at a San Francisco fundraiser that a lot of people in the country are bitter and they cling to guns and religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home