Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Monday, June 23, 2008

RIP George Carlin

One of my favorite comedians has passed away. George Carlin is dead at age 71. I remember to this day me listening to him on Dr Demento's old show on the famous LA radio station KMET when I was in grade school. I would have to listen with the radio at a real low volume lest my parents hear me listening to "racy material" by Dr. D. Sorry mom, it didn't work, I still listened :) Anyways, the only thing I don't remember was which bit it was. It was either "A Place For My Stuff" or "Icebox Man"...both classic bits. Of course George got his a lot of his fame from being sued by the FCC for his "seven dirty words" you can't say on tv and radio. The Supreme Court ruled that his speech was indecent and he was fined. His body of work was very diverse. He never liked to be grouped or pigeon holed into any stereotype. He always spoke of his healthy skepticism of the government. He was quite libertarian. In fact he asserted that he doesn't believe a word the government says. I find myself being in agreement with a lot of his "stuff" (no pun intended) he spoke about. This is a bit I first saw on HBO a few years ago, but it was linked today over at Lew Rockwell. It has to do with war. It's classic George Carlin.
DO NOT CLICK THE VIDEO BELOW IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE ADULT MATERIAL
"That's our new job in the world, bombing brown people. . . . When's the last white people we've bombed. . . the Germans, those are the only ones and that's just because they were trying to cut in on our action! They wanted to dominate the world. Bullsh_t that's our f___ing job!"
I will miss this man.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Cher's Weigh said…

    So Allan, you didn't think I heard you listening to George Carlin? I would always tiptoe out your door (and your sisters') every now and then - it's a parents duty to know what their kids are up to. Suffice it to say, that there were far worse things you could be doing, so it was one of those cases, you can win the battle or win the war. This was a minor battle that I felt you needed to win. Yes parents do have eyes in back of their head!

    Sidebar: I'm liking Jessie Ventura again. Did you see him on Leno last night?

    Love you
    Mom

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "One of my favorite comedians has passed away"

    or should it have said one of my favorite people that just speaks the f$@king truth in an entertaining fashion?

    will central banks try attack gold and silver one more time over the summer months?

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Well put Daniel.

    The answer to the second question is YES. Never get lulled into thinking that these guys are going to just lay down.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home