Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Friday, June 09, 2006

Mt. Carona Erupts

I'd hate to be a any person in the Sheriff's department who has criticized Mike Carona "aka the Big Sheriff" during this past campaign. Instead of "healing" the department like Carona said he was going to do on Tuesday night after his apparent victory, he has pushed the nuclear button. He has demoted people and put Lt. Bill Hunt into exile until a pending "internal investigation"...(read that as the Mike Carona doghouse) is completed. He did not turn the case over the the Attorney General like he should have if there was a legitimate reason, instead he has unilaterally suspended Lt. Hunt because he went through a rough campaign. Boo hoo. He may have the right to do this a la a recent Supreme Court decision, but I gotta say it's chilling as hell to anyone now who wants to criticize Carona for anything. It's Mike's way or the highway I guess.

I have spoken to Republicans over the past few days who voted for Carona and even they raised their eyebrows when they found out about this latest episode of "As The Little Sheriff Turns". I'm glad Supervisors Correa and Norby are demanding Carona answer questions about this decision at the next BOS meeting. I plan on emailing my Supervisor Mr. Campbell as well to tell my displeasure about this.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Allan,
    The Board of Supervisors have ask The Big Sheriffs attorney into a closed door meeting to find out what is happening with this internal investigation of Bill Hunt. I heard some GOP'ers that voted for Carona are not happy and may launch a recall. I know the election just ended, but this guys got to go. I didn't vote for him.

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You're absolutely right Ron. The Sheriff is our servant, not the other way around. I think they should make the position of Sheriff an appointment power of the Board of Supervisors like most police departments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home