Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Monday, April 03, 2006

Tom Delay is Out

Tonight is not turning out into a very good night. As I was watching my Bruins get schooled on the finer aspects of the game of basketball, I flipped the channel to MSNBC and Fox News during one of the timeouts to find out that Rep. Tom Delay will not be running for re-election. This is not a good omen of things to come in November. Granted, Delay has been slipping in the polls lately, but this announcement to "spend more time with God and family" is totally disingenuous. He didn't want to lose in November. It was a cold political calculation. Like Gingrich before him, it seems that high ranking House Republicans have a fairly short shelf life in power before they start to get stale and it becomes time for a change. In that sense I think Delay is doing the party a favor, but I have no allusions of what we face in the midterm elections. If I had to guess right now, I'd say the GOP Congress is in for a good old fashioned ass whipping come November. I sure hope I'm wrong, but my gut says otherwise. We have had all the power for over five years and there are not many accomplishments to speak of. Budget discipline, spending, illegal immigration, are just issues of the top of my head that we have totally abdicated leadership on. It will be near impossible to turn things around IMO in the few short months left until elections. As far as I'm concerned, if Bush signs any guest worker program before giving border enforcement a chance to work first, that will be the final nail in our return to the minority.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Suck it up! Your bringing me down!

    All is not lost yet. We still have 7 months before the election. Lucky for you, your not old enough to remember August 1974 when President Nixon resigned. That was REALLY DEPRESSING! I felt like jumping out a window. What surprises me most is how few elected Republicans are willing to fight against amnesty. The McCain/Specter types are more worried about coddling Mexicans for future elections. We need to be more careful in selecting candidates in the future and worry more about core convictions and less about name recognition/electability. It is time to FIGHT! I mean not only the Democrats but also the news media. The media has been getting a free ride for too long. It does us no good to ignore there liberal bias. ATTACK!

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am not giving up Lee. I am only pointing out the obvious political situation our party finds itself in right now after having all the power for the last five years and deficits as far as the eye can see. We are supposed to be the party of fiscal discipline. There are no excuses for the spending orgy that has taken place under our watch.

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    He isn't out..........he can start working as a Republican Communist Party lobbyist now!

    Republicans against Republican/Communist Party!

    http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/01/04/to_russia_love_tom_delay.php

    They tricked the real Republicans now the Republicans have to out the infiltrators (The Republican/Communist Party) who has been taking dirty Communist trips and colluding with the enemy against the American public!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home