Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Interesting Senator Harman Fundraiser Tonight

Lynn and I attended a Tom Harman fundraiser gathering tonight. I'm told that the event did well for the Senator's re-election coffers. There were lots of local politicians and their staffers in the room. As the Senator heads for his probable re-election, the only thing I can think of that is standing in his way is some millionaire challenger that wants to spend a lot of their money(Cassie DeYoung comes to my mind). It won't be Tom's last challenger Diane Harkey because she has already endorsed Tom and Tom has returned the favor by endorsing Diane for Mimi Walter's Assembly seat. This brings me to something the Senator said tonight in his speech about being able to mend fences with your GOP primary opponents after the election is over. The Senator and Diane Harkey had a knock down drag out bruising primary last year, but they now have endorsed each other. There are some people to this day who still haven't been able to put that election behind them. I think this was the Senator's not so subtle suggestion to a couple people in the same room together tonight at the fundraiser....Janet Nguyen and Trung Nguyen. Yes that's right, they were both in the same room together tonight. I've pretty much been a passive bystander in that race and even I could feel the cold war chill in the room. So I had an idea. Why don't I just go up to the two of them, break the ice and ask to have a big group hug, LOL! In the words of GHW Bush...(cue my best Dana Carvey voice)..."not gonna do it". It wasn't meant to be. I went up to Janet and just said that everyone should bury the hatchet and get on with life. Janet says she has tried to reach out, but it's always been to no avail. A Trung/Tran operative in the room said that the relationship(or lack thereof) is very chilly. Both sides need to quit the fighting and get on the same page. I understand that it was a bitter election. Sometimes these things happen. Anyway, so there was no group hug tonight between Trung and Janet. The cold war is alive and well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home