Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Deadliest Catch

Are any of my blog readers out there as into the Discovery show "The Deadliest Catch" as I am? I absolutely love this show. Every time it's on(like yesterday), I find myself glued to the television in wonderment of what those guys do for a living. I love ocean fishing. I have done it ever since I was little, but it was always for enjoyment, not as a job. These guys are fishing for King Crabs in some of the most dangerous conditions there is. Not only do you have big swells to contend with on the Bering Sea, you have freezing air spray, cold sea water, a pitching deck, possible rogue waves, swaying crab pots on the deck, possibly getting tangled in the crab lines as pulled over the side, and on and on. It ranks as one of the most deadliest professions out there. I hear the show is bringing in huge ratings for a cable show. If you've never watched, you don't know what you're missing. It's great entertainment.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger Lee Lemke said…

    Yes, Allan I like Deadliest Catch too. The adventures of Sig & the gang are interesting & exciting. I've even gotten my girlfriend interested in it. Mike Rowe made a comment that it has been on since 1999. However, I only discovered it recently. I also like Mike Rowe in Dirty Jobs. Another program kind of similar to Deadliest Catch as far as a risky job is Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel. It is about heavy semi trucks driving over frozen lakes in far Northern Canada. They risk the ice cracking under them at -40 degrees below zero and their trucks going through the ice & plunging 75 feet to their death. The job is not for the faint of heart. Tonight’s episode showed a diver going down in freezing water to retrieve bodies etc. It will repeat on Tues. night at 10PM on the History Channel.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love that show. Have you watched Ice Road Truckers yet? Very inetersting but not as dynamic as the crab fishermen. id like to go out on a crab boat for one trip myself.

    My line of work has seen its share of sketchy situations. Ive been washed down a creek, attacked by bee swarms, chased by wildlife, fallen off of cliffs, airlifted from remote canyon with broken limbs etc. but the crab fisherman job looks like real fun.

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm going to DVR it. It sounds like another cool program.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tonight's all-new episode of Deadliest Catch finds Captain Johnathan having an accident while trying to show off his skills. Meanwhile, Lenny on The Wizard barely escapes a huge wave while the North American Greenhorn is hazed by the rest of the crew! New episodes premiere every Tuesday night at 9PM on the Discovery Channel. http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home