Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Sunday, May 14, 2006

United 93 Movie Review

Lynn and I went and saw United 93 last night. I can't believe it has taken Hollywood this long to put out a movie about 9/11. I'm glad it has finally happened. It brought back a flood of memories for me from that day. I was driving out to Ontario Airport that morning for a flight over to Phoenix to meet with some clients when I started hearing the first reports of a "small plane" hitting the World Trade Center. I didn't think anything of it when I first heard the news of it on the radio as I was getting of the Archibald offramp on the 10 freeway at 5 o'dark something in the morning. I parked my car and headed into the terminal. As I finished my breakfast and started walking over to my Southwest Airlines gate, I noticed a lot of people gathered around a TV in the terminal oo'ing and awe'ing. I then started to realize that we were under attack. I got in line to try to get my boarding pass and right as I got to the front of the line the gal at the Southwest ticket counter said all flights have been grounded until further notice. I called the office and spoke to a co worker about what was happening and he said to get my ass back to the office ASAP. I was glued to the radio on my drive back into work. It wasn't until I got back into the office to view all the images of the morning that the gravity of the situation dawned on me. People were jumping out of the towers, 100 story buildings collapsing, the Pentagon getting hit, etc. It was a tragic day that will live in infamy.

Fast forward to last night. I was surprised that I didn't get very emotional as the movie progressed, but I did have a huge rush of adrenalin and a big knot in my stomach during the entire movie. I'm glad there weren't any well known actors/actresses in the movie as well. I couldn't imagine seeing Tim Robbins or Sean Penn playing one of the male passengers. That just wouldn't be right. I highly recommend this movie. I would also like people to leave a comment below on where they were when they heard the news and tell a little bit about that day from your perspective.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's your mom! I remember I was up North, when the news came on the TV as I was getting ready to go to work. As soon as I sat down to listen, I was able to visually see the second plane hit. It was surreal. I know my jaw stayed opened for about 5 minutes. It was also devastating too see the people covering their faces running, as the smoke ballooned up when the towers came crashing to the ground. I still have not been to the crash site to see for myself, but say my prayers for all of those that lost husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, friends, and co-workers.
    I can't imagine seing it all over again at the movies.!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home