Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Friday, November 16, 2007

Mike Carona Resolution On Tap Monday At The OC GOP Central Committee

I have learned that there will be a resolution introduced Monday night at the OC GOP Central Committee meeting asking for Mike Carona to step down as Sheriff until the charges against him are adjudicated. This is only fitting after the Sheriff's allies on the committee abused the endorsement process last year and in light of the fact that the Sheriff is facing a seven count indictment. The man has abused his office and laid waste to the Law Enforcers Code of Ethics that reads as follows:
As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind(Mike Carona's own self interests); to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception(hehe...good one), the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all persons to liberty, equality and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all(you have to laugh at how blatant he's violated this tenet); maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn or ridicule(mostly ridicule); develop self-restraint(hehe); and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life(another doozy here), I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department(OMG...it just doesn't end). Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty(especially when mistresses are involved).

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminal, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor(except for my reserve deputies), malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities(bribes for the layperson, LOL).

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...law enforcement
The party has sustained a huge black eye now that Mike Carona has been indicted. The resolution is going to need a 2/3 affirmative vote from members present the way it's coming to the floor. It really shouldn't have come down to this. If the Sheriff had any ounce of honor left, he would spare everyone from a long embarrassing trial and resign ASAP. He has not chosen that path though. He has chosen to give himself 60 days of paid leave in the hopes that the media firestorm will blow over. It won't. This is too sexy of a story for them to not cover. John & Ken have been having a field day over all these salicious stories. every day in the five o' clock hour they have been reading Scott Moxely's OC Weekly stories from the past few years. I'm surprised it took them this long to talk about it. This is a ratings bonanza for them. My personal favorite is the one about Sheriff Carona glossing his unit as the "little sheriff",but I digress.

The motion is being introduced by former Cypress councilman and former Assembly candidate Mike McGill. Mike is known to be a very fair minded person on the committee. He has been reaching out to all members asking for their input. Some Carona sympathizers want the resolution watered down. Whatever it takes to get a 2/3 vote I'm fine with. Here is a copy of the final draft which could be amended at the Committee meeting. I personally would prefer a resolution asking for Carona's immediate resignation, but it needs a 2/3 vote and it wasn't clear if that objective could be achieved without a watered down resolution.
Whereas, Michael Carona is the Sheriff of Orange County and was previously endorsed by the Republican Party of Orange County (OCGOP) in his successful reelection bid in 2006 and


Whereas, Orange County Sheriff Carona has been indicted by the U.S. Attorney on several criminal charges and


Whereas, if the OCGOP requests Sheriff Carona to immediately resign based on the distraction of the indictment, the OCGOP would be asking Sheriff Carona to forfeit an office and a career that he cannot regain, if he is innocent of the charges against him and


Whereas, the Sheriff’s own conduct, coupled with the serious federal charges against him and the pending trial, provide a significant distraction to the Sheriff in the performance of his duties and ability to serve Orange County;


Therefore, be it resolved, that the OCGOP calls upon Sheriff Carona to take an extended leave of absence (as permitted by law) until such time as the charges against him are resolved in a court of law.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home