Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Mitt Romney Taps Out

How appropriate that on a day when Mitt Romney drops out of the Presidential race, it's the first day of the Chinese New Year....the Year of the Rat! That fits John McCain to a tee. I expected Mitt to reassess his campaign after Super Tuesday, but I didn't expect him to surrender to John McCain so quick. I was knee deep trading the S&P when I got a call that Mitt had dropped out. I didn't believe it at first, but then I saw Mitt's mug on our piped in CNBC broadcast in the office and I knew it had to be for real. One of my first thoughts was that I'm bummed for my buddy Todd Cranney who works on the Romney campaign. He's out of a job now. He's a talented guy so I'm sure he'll hook up with another campaign or something political in nature.

The pundits want this race to be over, but Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul are both staying in as of this moment. The voters in the rest of the states should get their opportunity to have their say before any corronations begin. As I said the other day, I will almost certainly not be supporting John McCain in the fall. There's really nothing he can say or anyone else can say to me that will convince me otherwise. This is a decision about policy for me and the direction of our country. Sometimes in politics, you have to accept half a loaf. With John McCain, Republicans are getting a crumb...and a bad tasting one at that. Sure many people who supported Romney will hold their nose and vote for McCain, but a lot of others will not by all the message boards I read this morning. As conservatives, we can't keep feeding the bears in the park(to coin a phase) and expect them to stay away from the campground. By voting for McCain, you're just sending the signal that all of his horrible policiy positions will be tolerated. I didn't vote for Arnold in 2006 and it proved to be one of the best decisions I've made. McCain will be a DC version of Arnold. If you want that, than go ahead and vote for him, but I'm not going to reinforce bad behavior.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So you would rather see President Hillary?

    That's just plain stoopid.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm not voting for her, but I'm also not drinking the toxic McCain kool-aid. I'll leave that for others. It's likely though that the Republicans are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic this year. The Dems are way more energized than the Republicans. Just look at the turnout so far compared to us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home