Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Today's 48th CD Mailers

I opened my mailbox today after a long day at the office. There were two mailers from candidates for Congress. There was one each from John Campbell and Marilyn Brewer. I guess I will start posting my analysis of these hit pieces errr I mean mailers to my readers. Ms. Brewer's mailer starts with a picture of her with Chris Cox on the front. The next page has a letter from Marilyn to the voters that basically introduces her. She then says that she and Campbell are basically the same on financial and fiscal issues. Then she slams John Campbell for voting to give tuition benefits to illegals. All right Marilyn. Then Marilyn says, "allow me to be blunt - I am a mainstream conservative Republican. My opponent, on the other hand, has aligned himself with the extreme social conservatives". Now that's funny. John Campbell is a lot of things, but an extreme conservative, I wish. The rest of the mailer is just boilerplate stuff how she will represent all people in the district blah blah blah.
Now John Campbell is notorious for his carpetbombing of mailers when he is running for office and I guess he is not going to break that precedent. The front of the brochure has a picture of John with Ed Royce at the KFI show out in Ontario two weeks ago. The idea behind this I guess is to try to neutralize John & Ken's endorsement of Jim Gilchrist by having a big picture of John with a KFI microphone in front of him talking about illegal immigration. The entire brochure is devoted to how tough John will be on illegal immigration. What a joke that is. I go by past voting and track record sir and you are a Johnny come lately to this issue. The other side of the flyer is more BS on how he will be an advocate on illegal immigration. It is actually a great flyer rhetorically speaking, but unfortunately for John, he has already painted himself in a corner on this issue.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1. Have you noticed that Steve Young's website does not say or prominently display that he is a Democrat.

    2. His website does not talk much about the following issues.

    Where does he stand on:

    (a) abortion;
    (b) gun control;
    (c) same-sex marriage;
    (d) teaching intelligent design in schools;
    (e) government subsidies to faith-based groups;
    (d) tax policies:
    (1) marginal rates;
    (2) capital gain taxes;
    (3) estate tax;

    3. The Iraq War:
    (a) Does he believe the Administration lied to us going into the War?
    (b) Does he have a time schedule to bring the troops home? If so, what's the schedule?
    (c) Does he think President Bush is a chicken-hawk?

    4. What is his position on
    (a) Israeli-Palestinian conflict;
    (b) nuclear proliferation in general, and N. Korea and Iran in particular?

    5. He is opposed to CAFTA. But is he opposed to NAFTA?

    6. I am surprized he did not say anything about Cindy Sheehan.

    Is he afraid to associate with her, like most Democratic leaders?

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    All I know about him is that he is a trial lawyer. That's a deal killer right there. No need to look any further. If I were him, I guess I wouldn't mention those things either in such a conservative district.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marilyn Brewer's husband is Lance Brewer, a collection lawyer. (Are they still married? I dunno.)

    John Campbell however is a car salesman, right?

    I don't know what's worse.
    Lawyers, car salemen, politicians.

    Argh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home