Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Stop The Presses!

At least temporarily. The Gilchrist campaign filed a lawsuit in Superior Court today that had the effect of stopping the printing of ballots for the 48th CD race. The court is supposed to rule on this tomorrow. I think it is a great move on Jim's part. At the very least he is getting more publicity about his campaign for Congress. At most the court could overrule the Secretary of State and order "Founder Minuteman Movement" back next to Jim's name on the ballot. I guess it all comes down to which judge the case got assigned to. I personally don't think they will win what they want, but again it's great publicity. If he does win the suit, it obviously helps him a great deal because he already has great name recognition from his Minuteman activities earlier in the year.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Points & Authorities are very good -- the law is in Jim's favor. Writ to be heard on Friday in the Sacto Superior Court. The designation being sought is "Director, Minuteman Project". Go wo www.jimgilchrist.com.

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Duly noted legal eagle. I'm never optimistic though when lawyers and judges are involved. Call me crazy I guess.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gilchrist lost today in Sacramento Superior Court. I did not think his legal arguments were very good. I believe he may have now lost the opportunity to use a descriptive designation such as "Immigration Reform Advocate," which I believe the Secretary of State would have approved.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks for the update Jim. I didn't think he would win either. The judge was a Gray Davis appointee from what I heard, so the decision was not unexpected. I doubt they would even let him use your term either. Oh well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home