Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Mt. Whitney Or Bust


I've been wanting to scale the heights of Mt Whitney for a long time. It gives me a good goal to shoot for as well as to get back into great shape. You need to apply for permit from the Forest Service through a lottery that begins on Feb 1st of each year. Last year I didn't get selected. This year however, I got lucky and got the dates of July 16th & 17th to climb the tallest mountain in the Continental US. I've been training hard for the last month and I have two and half more months of grueling workouts and training hikes scheduled for the three local Southern California peaks...San Jacinto, Baldy, & San Gorgonio. I will post pictures of my trip when I return. Here's a great Mt. Whitney forum for all those whose curiousity about climbing this mountain I may have peaked.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck on your climbs.

    Looking forward to pictures.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger The Pot Stirrer said…

    Lest your readers think you're going to be pounding pitons into rock, going vertical, etc., the Whitney hike is just that - a hike. It will burn your lungs and give you blisters. The launch point from Whitney Portal is very special - a little lake, rushing waterfall. Also, take some time to visit the Alabama Hills on the way up to the jump off point. And, if you have time, a visit to Manzanar is worth the side trip.

    On another note, I guess we'll find out just what a magician Norm Chow is now that he and the Bruins are almost out of quarterbacks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home