Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

OC Central Committee Meeting

Last night was the monthly Orange County Central Committee meeting. Our Irvine Ron Paul Meetup group met over at the Hyatt Irvine. I know we made a good impression because I heard from a lot of elected officials and Central Committee members who are very intrigued by the Ron Paul candidacy. When I told them Tom McClintock is very close to endorsing Ron, that opened a lot of eyes. It was funny also because a few people thought our group was there to raise hell...we weren't. Since I already knew a lot of members of the party at the meeting, I ended up introducing our group around. The night went very well. I think we had about fifteen members of our group show up. I'd like us to have double that at the next meeting.

As for the meeting itself, it was kinda interesting. My buddy Zach Morgan got to put in a plug for his guy Gov. Mike Huckabee at the start of the meeting. Some guy(can't remember his name) did a presentation on radical jihadism and its risks to the US. Craig Alexander made a motion that the county party pass a resolution that supports Diane Harkey and doesn't support the recall brewing against her. Chairman Baugh made a passionate plee on Diane's behalf. The resolution passed unanimously. My opinion of this recall is it sounds like sour grapes from Jim Lacy and his crew, but I don't live in Dana Point so I can't really say. Their city politics can't be as bad as it is here in Irvine I know that. I believe this recall is a political stunt to try and derail Diane's ascendency to the state Assembly.

Supervisor John Moorlach gave a great presentation on his proposal to roll back some retroactive pension benefits that the couty granted a few years ago to the Sheriff's union. Before his talk I had a chance to talk to him for a few minutes about the county's investment pool. I'm worried we might have some mortgage debt securities in the county investment portfolio. I told him it would be a good idea to have an audit of our current investments to see first if we have any such investments and second, if we do, to try and quantify the risk with these. I'd prefer if they do have any of these securities, that they be liquidated ASAP.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger George Andrews said…

    thank you for coming out to the Republican Party of Orange County central committee meeting last night

    thank you for leaving your pitchforks and torches at home

    ;-)

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This is a peaceful revolution George. There is no need to worry about us. We're bringing lots of new voters to the GOP with this campaign.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home