Powder Blue Report

News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Juan Zarate.....An American Success Story

I just wanted to share an email with everyone here on my blog of a guy that I went to High school with at Mater Dei. His name is Juan Zarate and he is a flat out American success story. I played football with him at MD and my sister Amy, who was in his class(1989), was on the ASB council with him her senior year. Juan ended up going to Harvard and graduating magna cum laude. He has authored a couple of books also. One of them dealt with the chances of democracy in South America I believe. He now works for the Treasury Dept one block from the White House. Here is my email to him and his response:

Juan,

This is Allan Bartlett writing to you, brother of Amy Bartlett from Mater Dei. I was doing my daily surfing on the web and saw your name in an article about Cuba today. I IM'd my sister who is living up in San Francisco and she gave me your email address. When I saw your name I couldn't help but think back to my Mater Dei years and all the great memories I have of those years. I can still picture in my head the video that you and Amy and a few others did when you played Geraldo Rivera doing some hilarious skit, or the time when you were on the freshman football team and you kept right on running past everyone in pratice when the coach had already told you you to stop, but he hadn't blown the whisle yet and you just kept right on booking almost to the point of running through the lunch area! Hilarious dude. Those were great times.
I'm still living in the city where I grew up, Irvine. I got married three years ago and I enjoying life in socal. My wife is an attorney, but she doesn't practice anymore. It stressed her out to much. You know, billable hours! Anyway as for myself, I'm a licensed commodities broker working in Huntington Beach. My wife and I are plugged into the OC Republican political scene. When your done in DC, you should move back home and run for state assembly or congress. Anything is better than Loretta Sanchez or Joe Dunn who currently serve those Santa Ana districts(I'm assuming you're a Republican :^).
Well it's late and i'm off to bed, but I just had to drop you a line and say hello. I'd love to get together with you when you make back out here in the future. Keep up the great work busting all those terrorists. You are doing a great job.

Sincerely,

Allan Bartlett...class of 1988 .....Honor, Glory, Love

P.S would you please make something of yourself......just kidding....ciao

Hey, Allan. Thanks for the email. I love your family and often think of you guys.

I'm glad to hear all is going well. Things here are hectic, but well worth the exhaustion. I think we are doing some good things. I imagine you have seen some additional burdens in your line of work related to anti-money laundering controls.

Indeed, I am a Republican, and my position is a Presidential appointment and Senate confirmed, which is a huge honor for me. I appreciate the sentiment, but the Executive Branch is pretty good stuff.

Please give Amy my best and tell your family that I say hello. I miss Orange County and all the folks.

Take care, Allan.

Juan
Juan C. Zarate
Assistant Secretary (Terrorist Financing and Financial Crime)
Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence (TFI)
Department of the Treasury
1500 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20220

1 Comments:

  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger mudslide said…

    I am a Mater Dei grad ('66) and my son was in the same class with Juan throughout elementary school and they played football and basketball together. I can tell you Juan,as a 3rd grader, was the most impressive young man I've ever seen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home